by Lucy, Faith, Kallie
Right now about 14,904,904 million people live in Cambodia. There is about 7,608,696 females, which is (51.0%) of the population. There are also about 7,296,208 males. Which is (49.0%) of Cambodia population. For this year the population had grown about 233,463 people. Most of the population of Cambodia lives in country villages. The Capital of Cambodia, Phnom Penh, is the only major city, and less than one fifth of the population lives in urban areas. In Cambodia, 41.5 people are born every hour, and every hour 13.2 die.
3 Most Practiced Languages:
The most practiced language in Cambodia is Khmer also known as Cambodian, which is the most practiced language. Following Khmer is Austroasiatic language which is after the Viennese language. Khmer is most influenced by Sanskrit and Pali. Khmer differs from neighboring languages such as Thai, Burmese, Lao and Vietnamese in that it is not a tonal language.
Most Cambodians follow Buddhism, a small number of them are Muslims, and a small number are Christians. But they do also follow folk and traditional customs.
General Geography & Environment:
Cambodia has an area of 69,898 square miles. The Tonlesap (great lake) lies in the central lowlands of Cambodia, and serves as a reservoir for the Mekong River. In the driest season of the year, the lake has an area of about 1,200 square miles. During the rainy season, the Mekong river waters flow up the Tonlesap River and the lakes area expands to over 3,000 square miles with a depth of 45 feet. The weather in Cambodia is usually hot in the lowlands. The rainy season usually starts in mid-May to early October. Strong winds bring high humidity and heavy rain. In the central lowlands, rainfall varies from about 50 inches in the central lowland to over 200 inches in parts of the southwestern highlands. About 60% of Cambodia is over taken by forest and the other 40% is taken by meadows, pastures, and agriculture.
Most of Cambodia’s population is Chinese and Vietnamese. There were more Chinese in Cambodia at one point, but many left the country due to the growth of the Communist guerrilla movement called the Khmer Rouge in 1975. In 1979, some Chinese came back after a Vietnamese invasion overthrew the Khmer Rouge government. However, during the decade the Vietnamese were ruling, the Vietnamese population grew bigger than the Chinese.
Cambodia’s pop music is divided into two categories. They are ramvong and ramkabach. Cambodian art music is influenced by ancient forms and Hindu forms. Some religious dancing depicts stories about ancient myths. Some famous singers and composers include Sinn Sisamouth, Ros Sereysothea, and Pan Ron. The present day composers and singers are Noy Vannet, Meng Keo Pichenda and Lour Sarith.
Cambodia & Water:
Cambodia, over 50% of the rural population does not have access to safe drinking
water, and 33% of the entire country. The water in most ponds and wells is
contaminated by industrial runoff, human waste, and different types of
bacteria. Because of this, although they
have plenty of clean water underground, the accessible water makes them very
sick. In fact, 20% of the deaths of children under 5 are due to waterborne
not having access to clean water, Cambodia had some of the highest infant and
under-five mortality rates last recorded in 2010. It is also estimated that
only 16% of rural Cambodians have access to adequate sanitation, which leads to
even more sickness, especially among children. These problems are being addressed by making
BioSand Filters, Hand Dug Wells, Drilled Wells, and Rainwater Catchments. The
BioSand Filter is being used because it removes 99% of the bacteria in water
that is poured into it. The wells get clean water from underground, and the
rainwater catchments catch rainwater. The organization, Water for Cambodia specializes in BioSand filters, and have
helped more than 75,000 people get access to clean water. Another organization, Charity Water also helps create
and install the BioSand filters, Rainwater Catchments, and wells.
Photographs are courtesy of the following websites:http://flagpedia.net/cambodia